Sunday, April 20, 2008

pancakes, pollen and paws

You CAN make buckwheat pancakes with one egg.  Yesterday's pancake-making event was my most successful to date.  I have never before managed to not ruin at least one (normally the first) pancake...until yesterday, that is.  I mixed  fresh-cut strawberries into the batter, along with a little cinnamon.  And for the last two I also mixed in white chocolate chips. To top it off we poured the homemade maple syrup G's grandpa makes and bottles. It was scrumptious.
I forgot to post a picture of the lovely sunflowers Gabe brought home for me the other evening. Since I've spent a combined total of six years working as a florist, Gabe is always a little skittish about buying me flowers.  Apparently I've given the impression that I'm picky when it comes to flowers.  I always love getting flowers, no matter what...but there are certain flowers that I personally like more than others.  Sunflowers in spring are a great pick (so are ranunculus, in case any husbands are curious :).
Below is a picture of Daly doing one of his favorite things in life.  Clean-sheet Day ignites all sorts of excitement and energy in our lil' feline.  The game begins when we "ripple" out the sheet over the mattress in order to spread it out.  As the sheet is in the air, Daly jumps with all his might up into the center.  Then the sheet falls on top of him and he assumes army-crawl position.  We poke him once or twice and he swiftly flips over onto his back, creating a tent of sorts with his four paws.  This position enables him to swipe at our pokes with cobra-like speed.  This entertains all three of us for at least a dozen minutes every time.

6 comments:

Melissa Jo said...

that picture is awesome! those pancakes look delicious! when i had my frankster (Franky, the baby I had to give away because of my worsening asthma during and after pregnancy related to CATS!) he also loved sheet diving! i love cats! i miss having two! they warm my heart and are so darn clever!

Melissa Jo said...

i meant the cat picture was awesome...the cake one was too, but upon rereading my post it sounds like i meant the pancake pic and then jump right on to rambling about cats! anywhoozle, they are both good pics i just really enjoyed the daly one :)

Kristi said...

Ok, I really want your recipe for buckwheat pancakes.....I am a grain learning fool. I've been baking my own bread for a year now....including milling the wheat into flour. A lady in Colorado Springs actually sold it to me!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sooooooooo proud of your pancake making venture and its success. I had a wheat germ pancake the other day and I didn't want the last bite to end it was so good.Love ya xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Don't mean to be a bloghog but one thought re:Melissa's socks and your lack of...what about your quilt with the patches of your baby clothes in the corner I repaired after Heather tore it?:)

Unknown said...

That's a good one, I hadn't thought of that.