Friday, January 28, 2011

This post isn't meant to be a downer, but...

I keep stumbling upon stories of people losing their homes to fire lately. We just purchased two additional smoke detectors for Ellis' bedroom and for ours. I think I'm going to buy some ladders this weekend. We only use our cell phones, so it's scary to think of how often we've gone to bed with our phones who-knows-where--->certainly not us, and especially not if we awoke to find our house on fire. It's easy to put off thinking about preparing for a fire because, it's not going to happen, right? But wouldn't you feel better if you were as prepared as you could be?

Story 1
Story 2

Only they aren't just stories; these stories are all too real to two families. Thank God they all escaped unharmed. I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to wake up to smoke and fire in the black of night.

One other thing: Colorado is a high *Radon risk area, so I FINALLY purchased a radon test which I'll then send in on Saturday for the results. Our basement is a dirt floor, which isn't good when radon is a concern. So maybe you want to think about a radon test, too.

*Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that results from the breakdown of uranium in soil and rocks. It cannot be seen, tasted, or smelled. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer, and is the leading cause among non-smokers.

No comments: