Monday, May 19, 2008

bzzzzzz

This morning I arrived at school, made my way to my classroom, sat down at my computer to check my email. A minute later, I heard a bee at the window in front of me, shooed it out the door to the courtyard (couple yards from my desk), sat back down, heard a bee, shooed it out, heard another bee, shooed it out...repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc., etc., etc.. Around the fifth or sixth time, I began to think this was no coincidence. I looked outside and saw that one story up, near the window directly above mine was a swarm of bees. Somehow they were entering the building through the brick wall and making their way into my classroom, as well as the one above me. All day I repeatedly heard a bee, or three or four or five at a time, and calmly shooed them out the door. My AP came in a little panicked asking if I wanted them sprayed. I told her no, it really wasn't a problem (they just wanted out) and I wasn't too concerned, they were all at the back corner area of the room away from the students. I kept thinking about the bees of the world mysteriously disappearing and didn't want to contribute to the world being unable to grow food because all the bees have disappeared and therefore stopped pollinating plants. So all day I shooed bees back out into the world, and I suspect many of them flew right back into the building and into my room. Either way, my conscience remained clean by the time I shooed my last bee and left around 4:20. I estimate I either saved (at least until tomorrow when the district comes and napalms their little beehinds) upwards of 100 bees today, or I saved the same 5 bees over and over and over.

Today it was summer. I don't know when the calendar says summer begins, and I don't care. Today was BEEEEEAAAAUUUUTIFUL. I love summer. Nine and a half days until vacation!!! Yeah, baby.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beehinds:)I can't stop smiling, I'm counting the days with you. Someone needs to check on Melissa.
Love, Mom

Melissa Jo said...

I'm back! I'm sorry I went off and didn't tell anyone I would be absent and then lazy for awhile! but i'm back, all is well! and now i have some serious catching up to do on your blog! i'm glad you saved the bees. and thanks for the warning on lip gloss. maybe if i stick with the burts bees that'll be better? i really need to investigate this further because i am truly an addict and alex plays with it too. oh dear!

Deborah Downs said...

"Beehinds" made me giggle... Your story reminded me of the Bee Movie. All the bees stopped working because they had a surplus of honey and although they were content the rest of the world was dying. Makes me sad to think about. I'm terrified of bees but lately I've tried to stay clear of them so that we don't have any "S.W.A.T. situations". If my garden actually does grow this year I'd like their aid in keeping it going. :-)

Liz said...

haha! that cracks me up... i did a thing for the residents at the nursing home i work at on the disappearing bees, way to care for earth by not killing them. :)

i'd love to be on your blogroll, that's such a compliment!! i move to omaha in november, so right now i'm mostly just packing up to be ready to travel. i'm moving out of my apt this weekend or so, which is crazy!

i hope you're doing well, what's new in denver?