Friday, May 30, 2008

BEFORE:
AFTER:




Tadaaaa!!!  Last week I realized I had a gazillion boxes in my classroom storage closet.  Things tend to accumulate in my Art room (and I imagine in most art rooms), with the unsure intention of using them at some later date for some, yet unknown purpose.  So with the gazillion boxes, I decided to have all of my kids create 1 or more pieces however they wanted.  The cutting, tearing, drawing and painting began, and by the end of the week the gazillion boxes had been transformed into a bazillion individual pieces of painted cardboard.  I glued them all onto about 14 or 15 large mat boards, hung them above the lockers in the (sterile, boring, cold) hallway outside my room, and...voila!  Large, collaborative wall hanging to brighten things up.  We're going to keep it up semi-permanently (maybe do a new one at the end of the year next year).  Some of the teachers in our hall have requested that the entire length of the hall be covered with these wall hangings.  


4 comments:

Mom said...

the hallway looks beautiful!! And, I'm excited for you that you get to brighten things up in the school, too!! Good job!
just a couple more days, then you're free!!
MomV

Anonymous said...

That looks incredible! The students and faculty won't recognize the place when you're finished after this summer. So glad you got the "job" to paint the school, you'll have a blast. Still like your lunchroom idea about What's on your Horizon? xoxo Mom

Liz said...

those look amazing! and it's so great that you'll get to paint the school as well this summer. i love how you use your gifts to bring beauty into the school.

ps: i wore a dress over jeans yesterday. power to the jean/dress. ;)

Melissa Jo said...

that is so awesome you were hired to paint the school! how awesome and what a creative outlet for you! those hallways look great!