Thursday, December 15, 2011

Picture-less update

Gabe took our camera to work to use last week and it hasn't returned.

Yesterday, Ellis (out of the blue) put her hand up as you would to tell someone to stop, and said to me, "I don't have time for this."

I don't remember ever saying this to her. I'm not sure which is worse, the possibility that I've said it without realizing it, or that my not-even-three-year-old has, on her own, decided to cut straight to the point with me.

I've officially enacted the If-you-don't-clean-up-your-mess-when-I've-asked-(too many times)-then-those-toys-disappear law. Ellis has officially enacted the I-have-a-free-will-and-my-will-is-no-longer-to-simply-please-you way of life. Makes for some creative parenting in public--I will not give in to her demands, which means more than once Ellis has thrown a public tantrum. So fun. Especially when we're at the library. Passion is good. Ellis is very passionate.

I'm now in my 33rd week of pregnancy and I am honestly surprised that all indications point to a normal, full-term pregnancy in my near-future. And very thankful. But still pleasantly surprised.

Ellis is very big into character play. It's become so commonplace that often she'll just say as a quick aside, on her way out of a room for instance, "I'm Rapunzel and you're Flynn." or, "You're a princess, and I'm your mom." Exit room. At that point, until we are notified of a change in character, we are not allowed to call her Ellis. You will be sternly reminded if you break character.

Oh man, I love her so much.

We went to story-time at the library yesterday. Ellis was a little shy at first and wanted to sit on my lap instead of the rug. After a little while she decided she wanted to join the other children on the rug. She quietly made her way up to the front and, not so gently, WEDGED herself between two little girls that were sitting right next to each other. Then she hugged each of them.
They both seemed a little thrown. She's very affectionate :)

I've also been the recipient of lots of hugs and "I love you soooo much" exclamations lately. It's wonderful affirmation :)

Unpacking and organizing is slower-going than I'd like, but it will happen. Just a quarter step at a time, or so. We've met two neighbor couples and have been very warmly welcomed to the neighborhood. We're loving the big back yard and had a lot of fun pulling Ellis around in the sled last weekend out there. It feels like our home was made for us, and I've felt at home since the day we moved in.

1 comment:

Erica Wirtz said...

Ha ha! Our girls would love to play together. Victoria is obsessed with pretend play and Rapunzel and Princesses are some of her favorite characters :)