Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Prego update (there will probably be a lot of these...)




We had our second baby-doctor's appointment yesterday and met my doctor for the first time. We both really liked her.  After pushing on my belly a bit, looking over my blood tests, and asking and answering some questions, she congratulated us on the fact that I'm having a "very normal" pregnancy.  Very welcomed words.  We did not have an ultrasound, but we did get to listen to the bun's heartbeat.  This was a big relief, as I've felt so normal it's hard to believe I'm actually pregnant.  I've gotten used to telling people I'm "pregnant", and used to thinking of myself as a "pregnant" person...but actually believing there is in fact a person growing inside of me seems a little too strange to be real---and somehow different from saying I'm pregnant.  It's like pregnant is just my new state of being: I'm pregnant.  Like I'm 5'8" or have blue eyes.  These things don't have consequences, they are just facts of my life.  So it's hard to wrap my brain around the idea (and reality) that in just under 6 months I won't be pregnant, but --God willing-- I will have a person to show for it. Strange.  And completely wonderful and exciting, don't get me wrong, but also bizarre.  

I gained 8 pounds since my last doctor visit.  This proves to me that it can't just be bloating from gas.  

I watched about a dozen different 3-5 minute videos online this morning dealing with labor, delivery, what happens right after and so on.  I now know all about APGAR, antibiotic goop that goes into your baby's eyes right after birth, what exactly is happening when your water breaks, vitamin k shots, why baby's don't drown in water births, and that hippies appear to experience the least amount of pain during childbirth.   It's convinced me to look more into their hippie ways when it comes to childbirth. From what I can tell so far, these are some of the hippie recommendations: dim lights, have husband constantly massaging your back ---um, OKAY, keep your eyes closed a lot and listen to music you like, and maybe rock back and forth on your hands and knees. And keep telling yourself, and those around you that your body was designed for this.  None of that seems very extreme or out there.  I'll forego the incense burning next to my bed and the summoning Mother Earth of course, substituted with some serious praying I imagine. 

 And does anyone have any input regarding water births?  Because from where I'm sitting, that looks like the way to go.  The lady I watched for the water birth video barely grunted or frowned during the two pushes it took to deliver her baby.  My hospital has a jacuzzi in every room...I'm not against (at this point) delivering my first child by sea.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved, loved, loved seeing you and talking to you at the same time, very special to see my baby with child. Very wonderful, thank you.
Love, Mom xoxoxoxoxo

Kristi said...

Wow, you've grown in the short 2 weeks or so since we saw eachother!! Awwwww, the next big moment is feeling the baby kick...I loved that!

As for pregnancy stories and giving birth. I'm all for the epidural. But to each his own. My dr. gave me the best advice ever (I think) He said that women tell pregnancy and birthing stories like men tell fishing stories. They just keep growing and getting exaggerated. So don't listen to them! I loved that, and found it to be so true! Anyway, it is such a miracle that our bodies can grow these little people. It is truly amazing. Enjoy this time and the dreaming for the life there after!

Sorry for the story....

Dr Noffy said...

Mya was born in the water. I loved it! Just was a little warm during contractions b/c the water had to be warm for baby, but a cold wash cloth definately helped on the forehead. My water broke and she was born one push later... beautiful! Keri has a DVD of mine, "the business of being born" documentary by Ricki Lake. You should have a party and watch it together or something:)
You look great by the way!

mbguikema said...

i love the pictures!! so cute..i need to see that belly in person so i can rub it :) i am all for natural delivery if that is what you want...if you really want my professional advice about water births i will tell you :) i will leave that up to you :) if you are delivering at st joes...i don't think they do waterbirths...the tubs in the rooms are for laboring only...

tim and kristi said...

love the pictures. glad the appointment went well. my only request is to see your smiling face in the next set of photos :)love to you and gabe and bobbi.

Anonymous said...

You look prego alright! Pretty exciting.

So glad the appointment went well!

Melissa Jo said...

So, this will be my third attempt at posting! :) Lost it somehow thefirst time and didn't finish it at work the second time! ugh! :) your pics are SUPER SUPER CUTE!!!! I'm so glad you posted them! Keep them coming! anyway, i'm also for the epidural. I was all about it and able to enjoy the entire labor and birth process thanks to my glorious epidural...BUT i have heard good stories from those who went natural as well. It's whatever your gut tells you to do! Whatever you think will give you the most from the experience you should go for, just allow yourself the flexibility to get an epidural should you decide you want one later on during the process--that way you won't be hard on yourself incase there is change of plans. :) I use to work with pregnant women and have heard great stories from both sides. You can't go wrong...either way you end up with a sparkly new babe to love for your whole life! My doctor told me there is no trophy at the end regardless of what choice you make...it's whatever makes you comfortable and happy, that's your reward. I'm so excited for you guys!!!! I can't wait to find out what that peanut is...BOY or GIRL!!!!!