It seems I was storing quite a bit of stuff at Granny's house, so because we had driven to Iowa, my mom and I went through it and packed up six boxes for me to take home with us. It's truly amazing the amount of insignificant rubbish I thought important enough to save at some point.
Once we got home I decided to clean out the basement to organize and eliminate more of my meaningless possessions. It feels SOOOOO good to be rid of so much stuff that was cluttering my life. Just because it wasn't in clear view, does not mean that it wasn't cluttering my mind/life. It was very freeing to take account and reorganize.
BEFORE:


AFTER:
That's it! And the top bin is still empty. About a third of the boxes in the before picture are empty, but still, it's incredible to me to see how much condensing and discarding was possible. I even got all of our Christmas decorations/ornaments into the green containers. One container is Gabe's memorabilia, and the other four are mine. Disproportionate, I know, but still worlds better than before.


Here are the after pictures of a white wall I painted in one of our school's girls' bathrooms just before going to Iowa. I spent five hours creating a mural I thought girls would really enjoy. Our school beautification committee wanted to brighten up the bathrooms, among other things. The principal agreed to pay me to come in and do some painting. But thanks to district policies this is now the before picture to a newly painted white wall. Just like every other wall in our building. Five hours for nothing. Kids will never even know this was here. Bummer, huh?








8 comments:
So sad about the art/paint job gone down the toilet, I was kicking myself for not looking at the pics on your camera of the 5 hour job you did, so glad you posted. Have you made any ice cream yet? Love you, Mom xoxox
I saw the ice cream maker in the pic too! Yummy, did you get rid of it??
You did a great job on the wall!! Did they really just paint over your work??
We took the ice-cream maker from Granny's storage and threw away the box. It's old, but new to us. And no, we haven't made any yet, but intend to soon!
I know you're in the Springs, but I wanted to wish you a very happy birthday today. Tell Ken happy birthday too! Hope you all have a wonderful visit. Maybe you should post your hospital baby cap, you just got it from storage. Love you baby, Mom xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROOKIE!!!!!! I'm so sorry tohear about the beautiful mural! what a bunch of crapola that they painted over it! i just don't get it! it looked amazing! and the kids WOULD have loved it!
Oh my! That sucks. It looked awesome. Way better than a plain wall.
I too love to get rid of stuff. I am amazed at how much crap we aquire. In our tiny house we just can't keep everything.
Soooooooooooo, did you do any frosting shots for your birthday? I guess it's the latest craze, bakeries are offering tiny shots of your favorite frosting (no cupcake necessary)what will they think of next?? xoxo Mom
What the crap....Obviously a white wall brings about more joy in those young girls. Obviously.
Post a Comment